- Nelson, R. (2013) Practice as research in the arts: principles, protocols, pedagogies, resistances. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Borgdorff, Henk, and Haarberg, Johan A. (2013) ‘Research Assessment and Qualification Frameworks’. In Wilson M. and Ruiten, S. (eds) Share Handbook for Artistic Research Education. Amsterdam, Dublin, Gothenburg: ELIA, European League of Institutes of the Arts. See Chapter 7 on Research Assessment.
- Robin Nelson and Stuart Andrews. The regulations and protocols governing ‘Practice as Research’ (PaR) in the performing arts in the UK leading to the award of PhD. See the sections Submission; Examination and Examiners, and Criteria for an overview of proposed best practices by the five-year project PARIP, Practice as Research in Performance.
- Jen Webb, Donna Lee Brien and Sandra Burr (2012) Examine Doctorates in the Creative Arts, A Guide. A guide on examination practices, processes and policies in Artistic Research doctorates in the Australian context. It includes a guide of questions that an examiner might ask a submission.
- Irish Universities Quality Board (2009) Good Practice in the Organisation of PhD Programmes in Irish Higher Education. National Guidelines. See Section 10, Examination, which offers general guidelines for PhD examination in Ireland in any field.